What is QPR?
QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer — 3 simple steps that anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. Just as people trained in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver help save thousands of lives each year, people trained in QPR learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade, and refer someone to help. Each year thousands of Americans, like you, are saying “Yes” to saving the life of a friend, colleague, sibling, or neighbor. QPR can be learned in our Gatekeeper course in as little as one hour.
In one hour, you can become a Gatekeeper
As a QPR-trained Gatekeeper you will learn to:
- recognize the warning signs of suicide
- know how to offer hope
- know how to get help and save a life
With QPR, the following Chain of Survival elements must also be in place:
- Early recognition of suicide warning signs. The sooner warning signs are detected and help sought, the better the outcome of a su8icide crisis will be.
- Early QPR. Asking someone about the presence of suicidal thoughts and feelings opens up a conversation that may lead to a referral for help.
- Early intervention and referral. Referral to local resources or calling 1-800-Suicide for evaluation and possible referral is critical, as most people thinking about suicide are suffering from an un diagnosed and/or untreated mental illness or substance abuse disorder for which excellent treatments exist. Also, the offering of hope and social and spiritual support can often avert a suicide attempt.
- Early professional assessment and treatment. As with any illness, early detection and treatment results in better outcomes and fewer lives lost to suicide.
QPR is a simple educational program that teaches ordinary citizens how to recognize a mental health emergency and how to get a person at risk the help they need. It is also an action plan that can result in lives saved. Our research and evaluations to date have shown positive results, some of which are available on this web site.
QPR Program at a Glance
3 simple steps that anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. Just as people trained in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver help save thousands of lives a year, people trained in QPR learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade and refer someone to help.
The very reasonable fee for service is $10.00 per person (a maximum of 30 trainee’s).
To inquire about a QPR Training contact us at 860-286-9333 or email Tom Steen, email@example.com or Wende Cooper firstname.lastname@example.org